March 02, 2014

Strange Birds and the Way They Sing

Hoot-toot-toot: Owls are falling freely through the void without any fixed point in life; hooting, tooting, flapping wildly all the way down --- Where's the ground? And which way is Down, on the whole? Too dark! But they are only sketches so far, and can't know what kind of painting it'll be yet or how to react to it. Nor do I.


They are drawn with light strokes on a dark background, not the customary other way round. That's fun for a change: When you're falling through darkness, you must try to have a little fun.

And this is this is a large bird with thick glasses, a small detail from the children's book that everyone wanted me to draw/write until I said All Right Then, I Give In. I'm far from done yet (not to mention far from published) so this is what you get for now. Give the bird a cracker. Be sure to hold it up closely.


Finally, a little birdsong from the painter himself. Warning: Those overly addicted to strict Western rhythms might find this a little revolting. I add a few beats here and there, without really caring. This bird did have a cold too, albeit the music would be in a fair state anyway...



Lyrics (c) J. Ceder 2014:

May I work with something
that I know how to do?
May I love and be happy
and how about you?
Will we have shoes
will we make ends meet?
It's all decided...
On Wall Street

[Whistle and piano...]

Do I own my home?
Or... the bank?
Will I get hit by
some economic prank?
Will I wear shoes?
...have anything to eat?
It's all decided...
on Wall Street

:)

(I'm still working on the owls. Here they are about to get some lustre and shine to their feathers -- the eyes should glow better too, and with some luck they'll see where they're flying then. But that's more than I know.)